Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Job transfer rate

2014-10-30 12:24:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Job transfer rate
From: Jeff MacDonald <jeff AT terida DOT com>
To: Bryn Hughes <linux AT nashira DOT ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:20:32 -0300

Just be aware that you might not see a dramatic increase in speed just
moving Bacula itself!

If you are using VMWare with VMDK files on a VMFS volume you need to be
aware that any IO by a guest requires a reservation of the entire VMFS
volume.  Locking is happening at the SCSI layer - if one guest wants to
read one byte of data nobody else can do anything until its IO operation
is complete.  Remembering that you probably are only going to get around
75 IOPs you can see how a VMFS volume with more than a handful of
virtual machines on it can very quickly end up performing very poorly,
especially with spinning rust underneath it.  A good RAID card with a
LOT of cache memory can help with overall system performance, but
backups by definition are going to be touching lots of areas of data
that aren't likely to be in cache.

What I'm getting at is you might actually need to focus your efforts and
dollars on the storage underneath your VMs before you do too much with
your backup system.  A great big nice happy dedicated Bacula server
would be nice, but if the VMs are still IOP constrained ESPECIALLY if
they are actively in use while being backed up you probably won't see
that much of an improvement.

An easy way to validate this would be to ensure you have attribute
spooling turned on and to set up the attribute spooling to write to your
NAS rather than to local storage.  That will get the VM storage
infrastructure out of your backup pathway.

Bryn

This has been a fantastic education. Thanks. I’ll recommend to the client that their IO is slow.. and I’ll get told “Oh! It seems fine to us!” :)

I googled and found documentation about turning on Data Spooling, but not indepnedantly turning on Attribute Spooling.

Could you point me at that please.. ( I know I Know.. I’ll keep looking :) )

Jeff.