Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Job transfer rate

2014-10-30 11:30:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Job transfer rate
From: Jeff MacDonald <jeff AT terida DOT com>
To: Bryn Hughes <linux AT nashira DOT ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 12:27:32 -0300
> On Oct 30, 2014, at 12:17 PM, Bryn Hughes <linux AT nashira DOT ca> wrote:
> The job report rate will be the final average rate of the job, it doesn't
> know/specify the difference between the 'input' rate and the 'output' rate.
>
> Yep, you're going to need to do some investigation on the storage side of the
> VM machine you are backing up, the director itself, the storage daemon itself
> (though I'm guessing it is on the same system as the director for you) and
> the final storage.
>
> Also it's not quite clear from your description, is the final storage on a
> different NAS all together from your VMs? (hoping so!)  What virtualization
> platform are you running?
>
> Finally the question about attribute spooling is a big one - if you are
> backing up a lot of small files and you do not have attribute spooling turned
> on, you will have abysmal performance especially if the director is running
> on the same disks that you are backing up.
>
> Database writes are (almost) always synchronous writes, meaning the system
> will stop and wait for the storage layer to say "yes the data is ACTUALLY
> committed to disk" before proceeding.  If you are seeking all over backing up
> a bunch of small files, then trying to do a whole ton of tiny DB writes at
> the same time to the same spindles your hard drive heads are going to be
> flying around like crazy.  An array of 7200 RPM disks in any sort of parity
> RAID configuration will not be able to handle more than 50-90 random IOPs
> (Operations per Second) at best in real life, with a DB write or a file read
> counting as an IOP.  If you are backing up lots of small files randomly
> distributed around the storage you are quite likely hitting an IOP wall - an
> IOP to read the file and an IOP to write the DB record means not more than
> 25-45 files per second.  4kb files = 100-180kb/sec and a completely maxed out
> storage layer.
>
> Even WITH attribute spooling enabled you are still going to be in a
> less-than-ideal position since the spooled attributes still need to be
> written to the same spindles with the hardware configuration you've
> described.
>
> Bryn

This was really helpful and basically just answered all of my questions without
having to investigate the actual setup very much.

I’m using VMWare for my virt platform. Bacula and its postgres live on the same
disks that they are backing up (which is local storage) and data is sent off to
to a remote NAS via gige.

My guess is that its an IOP wall like you mentioned.Its running a bunch of VMs
that are under heavy usage by the staff.

Making a stronger and stronger arguement for me to recommend dedicated bacula
appliance. 16 gigs of ram, 4 cores. 1tb of 7200 for postgres and a tape drive :)

jeff.