Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Job transfer rate

2014-10-30 10:44:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Job transfer rate
From: Bryn Hughes <linux AT nashira DOT ca>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 07:39:02 -0700
On 14-10-30 06:27 AM, Jeff MacDonald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have some backups going at 2MB/s which for a 380gig backup is just too
> slow. I’m trying to find my bottleneck.
>
> Some questions:
>
> - Is the rate of the backup only shown in “messages” or is it stored in the
> db anywhere. Or could I just do jobbytes / endtime-starttime in the jobs
> table?
>
> - Does bacula write data to disk via a stream or lots of little latency
> dependant writes?
>
> My environment looks like this
>
> - Bacula (and postgres on the same VM), a MS Small business server and 3 or 4
> other VMs run on a 6 disk array of 7200rpm SATA disks ( I bet this is already
> my slowpoint )
> - Bacula stores its backups on a NFS mounted NAS, about .7ms of ping away.
>
> Tips/Suggestions?
>
> Jeff.

What is the content of your backups?  Some things (ie thousands of tiny
files) will cause a lot of seeks on the machine to be backed up.  If you
aren't using attribute spooling then each backed up file also causes a
record to be inserted in to the database, which may take time depending
on your DB environment.

The 'suggestions' for tuning will be different if you are backing up a
few dozen 10GB files versus backing up a million 10kb files.

Bryn