Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bareos

2014-05-23 12:28:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bareos
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Alan Brown <a.brown AT ucl.ac DOT uk>, bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, bacula-devel <bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 18:25:36 +0200
I cannot ague with the very last point you make, and I am not allowed to
say that :-)

There are actually three points:

1. Do you have legal standing to claim something (like copyright violation)?

2. Is what you are requesting the court to do something that is
permitted by the license?

3. They don't seem to understand that multiple people can hold
copyrights to the totality of the code.

I am not sure Bareos is trying to invalidate the AGPL (sorry if I
implied it), but it seems clear to me from what they write that they are
trying to destroy Bacula Systems rights to develop a open core version
of the code.  If they succeed (unlikely in my opinion), it could well be
the end of the Bacula community version as well.

Yes, having thought about this a lot, I realize that there are some very
interesting points with the scenarios :-)

Kern