Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bareos

2014-05-23 10:58:16
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bareos
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, bacula-devel <bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 16:54:16 +0200
Hello,

Quite a number of you have asked me to keep you informed about the
Bacula Systems lawsuit against Bareos.  If you don't want to hear about
it, please delete this email.

Bareos has responded (11 April 2014) to the Bacula Systems lawsuit that
was filed on 6 December 2013.  I have now had a chance to read over what
they respond and their new allegations, and have forwarded my remarks to
the Bacula Systems lawyer.  Concerning the procedure, if I am not
mistaken, Bacula Systems will respond (max delay 3 months), then Bareos
will respond again (max delay 3 months), then there will be testimony of
witnesses and finally the pleadings.  All this will take quite a long
time -- this is a bit frustrating but the way the law works here in
Switzerland (and I believe it is pretty much similar elsewhere).

I won't go into it in much detail right now, but at some point, I will
undoubtedly publish everything.  However, the Bareos response is really
quite shocking to me because of their ignorance of what open source is,
and in particular what the AGPLv3 license actually says.  I understand
that may people have not read the AGPLv3 and even if you have, it is not
always easy to understand, but when you are involved in a lawsuit, you
would think that before responding one would at least get solid legal
advice rather than furnishing a written response with patently incorrect
assertions.

There are a number of other even more mind boggling points, but for the
moment, I have been muzzled :-(

Best regards,
Kern