Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restore from an incremental job: No Full backup before ... found

2014-05-12 07:52:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restore from an incremental job: No Full backup before ... found
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Sven Tegethoff <tegethoff AT udobaer DOT de>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 13:47:09 +0200
On 05/12/2014 12:29 PM, Sven Tegethoff wrote:
> On 12.05.2014 11:56, ML mail wrote:
>> So my question here is: how do I need to configure bacula in order to
>> restore files whenever during a 7 days period no matter if there is a full
>> backup before available or not.
> You can't. Restoring from an incremental backup always requires ALL
> preceding incremental backups AND the last full backup they are based
> on. That means you retention period for all jobs
> must be at least twice as long as your frequency of full backups -
> because a 7 day old job may be based on a full backup that is 14 days
> old. And with your current configuration (incremental jobs, single
> pool), even doubling the retention period would be submoptimal ...
> because you would be carrying around up to 7 days worth of orphaned old
> incremental backups.
In general, if you choose option 5 on the restore prompt, Bacula will
indeed want the Full and all the intervening Incremental and
Differential backups.

However, it may not be well known, but one *can* restore just the files
from any given Incremental or Differential backup without the Full
backup.  You simply need to know the JobId of the Incremental or
Differential backup, and with a different option on the restore prompt,
you can enter the JobId and restore from it.  Also, Bat has a restore
that will work with all backups automatically and allow you to choose
any file in any backup.

Doing restores from specific JobIds is perhaps a bit unusual but just
the same possible.

Best regards,
Kern