Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restore from an incremental job: No Full backup before ... found

2014-05-12 11:26:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restore from an incremental job: No Full backup before ... found
From: Thomas Lohman <thomasl AT mtl.mit DOT edu>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 11:03:52 -0400
> I guess I will go with Sven's suggestion, or does anyone have any
> other recommendation on running a weekly backup with 7 days archive?

Hi, this may be the same as Sven's recommendation but if you want to
guarantee the ability to restore data as it was 7 days ago then
you'll need to set your retention period to 14 days.  An example may
illustrate best:

May 3rd - Full
May 4th-9th - Incrementals
May 10 - Full
May 11- Incremental
May 12 - restore request for the data as it was on May 9th.

With only a 7 day retention period, by the time May 12 comes around,
you've lost your May 3rd Full potentially.

Whether or not you've actually lost the data depends on whether the
volume that it resides on actually has been overwritten/re-used yet.
How things behave, of course, will depend on your exact configuration.
If it has not been overwritten, then you do have options.   I have never
used it but you could try using a volume scanning tool (i.e. bscan) to
re-create the DB meta-data for the jobs on that volume.  Another option
would be to restore your DB back to May 9th on another computer (i.e. a
spare/test Bacula server) and then use it to get at the data.  I've done
the latter with success when someone wanted some data that was older
than our restore window.

cheers,

--tom