Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restore from an incremental job: No Full backup before ... found

2014-05-12 10:47:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restore from an incremental job: No Full backup before ... found
From: ML mail <mlnospam AT yahoo DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 07:44:27 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Sven,

That's actually a very nice way around my problem. The only issue here I see is
that as I am using one pool/job/client/filesets/etc per server I backup, I will
have to double nearly everything in my configuration. Is there maybe another
alternative? or maybe is my practice of having one pool per server not
recommended?

On Monday, May 12, 2014 12:58 PM, Sven Tegethoff <tegethoff AT udobaer DOT de>
wrote:
On 12.05.2014 11:56, ML mail wrote:

> So my question here is: how do I need to configure bacula in order to restore
> files whenever during a 7 days period no matter if there is a full backup
> before available or not.
You can't. Restoring from an incremental backup always requires ALL
preceding incremental backups AND the last full backup they are based
on. That means you retention period for all jobs
must be at least twice as long as your frequency of full backups -
because a 7 day old job may be based on a full backup that is 14 days
old. And with your current configuration (incremental jobs, single
pool), even doubling the retention period would be submoptimal ...
because you would be carrying around up to 7 days worth of orphaned old
incremental backups.

I would suggest using not incremental but differential backups. A
differential backup only requires the job from the point in time you
want to recover, and the latest full backup job before that, but not any
jobs inbetween.

Create two volume pools: One for full backups and one for differential
backups. Give the full backups a retention period of 14 days, and the
differential backups a retention period of 7 days. That way, you have 7
days coverage, and you only have jobs in your pool that you actually need.

--

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Sven Tegethoff
EDV-Team

UDO BÄR GmbH & Co. KG
Obermauerstr. 1-3
47051 Duisburg
Tel.: +49 (0) 203 28117-142
Fax: +49 (0) 203 28117-151
E-Mail: tegethoff AT udobaer DOT de

Ust.-Idnr.: DE119562189, HRA 6056, Sitz der Gesellschaft: Duisburg,
Gerichtsstand: Duisburg Geschäftsführer: Bodo Badnowitz, Jürgen Dietz

Ein Unternehmen der BTI Gruppe: www.bti-group.com

Wenn Sie nicht der richtige Adressat sind oder diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten
haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort den Absender und vernichten Sie diese
E-Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser E-Mail
ist nicht gestattet.  This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this
e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail.
Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this
e-mail is strictly forbidden.