Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Failure Backing Up Windows Client Machine

2014-02-27 15:13:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Failure Backing Up Windows Client Machine
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Larry Kemp <Larry.Kemp AT usmetrotel DOT com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 15:08:06 -0500

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 3:03 PM, Larry Kemp <Larry.Kemp AT usmetrotel DOT com> wrote:

Thanks John for the response.

I have tried it a few ways with no success getting the File Daemon to start at boot.

I also read this link here for help: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc990289.aspx

Failed attempts:

Entered:

C:\Documents and Settings\lkemp>sc create Bacula-FD binpath= "C:\Program Files\Bacula>bacula-fd.exe" -c ./bacula-fd.conf type= share start= auto

[SC] CreateService SUCCESS

System accepted it but it would not startup….it showed under services.msc as Manual start only. Then when you try to manually start it, it would fail and state that it could not find the specified file.

So then I deleted it entirely to try again:

C:\Documents and Settings\lkemp>sc.exe delete Bacula-FD

[SC] DeleteService SUCCESS

Entered:

C:\Documents and Settings\lkemp>sc create Bacula-FD binpath= "C:\Program Files\Bacula>bacula-fd.exe" -c "./bacula-fd.conf" type= share start= auto

[SC] CreateService SUCCESS

System accepted it but it would not startup….it showed under services.msc as Manual start only. Then when you try to manually start it, it would fail and state that it could not find the specified file.

So then I deleted it entirely to try again:

C:\Documents and Settings\lkemp>sc.exe delete Bacula-FD

[SC] DeleteService SUCCESS

Entered:

C:\Documents and Settings\lkemp>sc create Bacula-FD binpath= "C:\Program Files\Bacula>bacula-fd.exe" -c ./C:\Program Files\Bacula>bacula-fd.conf type= share start= auto

There was no output showing SUCCESS so I assume it did not create the service.

Running netstat –nc | more did not show anything listening.

C:\Documents and Settings\lkemp>sc.exe delete Bacula-FD

[SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

Entered:

C:\Documents and Settings\lkemp>sc create Bacula-FD binpath= "C:\Program Files\Bacula>bacula-fd.exe" -c “./C:\Program Files\Bacula>bacula-fd.conf” type= share start= auto

There was no output showing SUCCESS so I assume it did not create the service.

Running netstat –nc | more did not show anything listening.

Failed 1060 when tried to delete.

Entered:

sc create Bacula-FD binpath= "C:\Program Files\Bacula>bacula-fd.exe" -c ./C:/Program Files/Bacula/bacula-fd.conf type= share start= auto

Failed.

Entered:

sc create Bacula-FD binpath= "C:\Program Files\Bacula>bacula-fd.exe" -c  ./C:/Program Files/Bacula>bacula-fd.conf type= share start= auto

Failed.

Entered:

sc create Bacula-FD binpath= "C:\Program Files\Bacula>bacula-fd.exe" -c ./”C:/Program Files/Bacula/bacula-fd.conf” type= share start= auto

Failed.

I spent a bunch of time looking online too at Microsoft sites and looking at the output of sc.exe to see how to include the path to the .conf file after the –c in the command so it would allow it to start up as a service without human intervention. I must be missing it by a character or two. Let me know if you or anyone else has any ideas or different ways to approach this. What if I tried to call a .bat file as the binpath instead; and then in that .bat file I placed the string to “C:\Program Files\Bacula\bacula-fd.exe ./bacula-fd.conf” in the .bat file. I wonder if sc.exe would accept it. I might try that unless anyone comes up with something more plausible.

Get rid of the ./ part when you give it a full path of the config file. This means the current folder which will not work (especially when a full path is appended to that).

John