Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Slow backup, how to optimize ?

2013-09-24 03:48:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Slow backup, how to optimize ?
From: lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 09:45:12 +0200
Zitat von bdelagree <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for the quick response.
>
> My library is connected to a dedicated server only to services (PDC,
> DHCP, DNS, LDAP, and Bacula)
> This server is not designed to host files, so he has little space.
> In addition, the MySql database is already 35Gb...
> I can dedicate reasonably 50Gb on this one.

The size of the database mostly depend on the number of
files/directories and your retention policy.

> Is there one DataSpooling for bacula, or one by drive ?

You should set it by drive and calculate for the number of parallel
jobs you are using.

> Knowing I have a lot of servers to backup (8 servers for about 2.8
> Tb of data), is that enough or i need to find another system for
> Data Spooling?
>
> df -h from my srv-infra-sm
>
> Filesystem                                              Size  Used
> Avail Use% Mounted on
> rootfs                                                   20G  836M
> 20G   5% /
> udev                                                     10M     0
> 10M   0% /dev
> tmpfs                                                   1.6G  1.7M
> 1.6G   1% /run
> /dev/disk/by-uuid/465b04fb-de46-409b-928a-ec01ba98373e   20G  836M
> 20G   5% /
> tmpfs                                                   5.0M  4.0K
> 5.0M   1% /run/lock
> tmpfs                                                   1.6G  8.0K
> 1.6G   1% /run/shm
> /dev/sda4                                               109G   40G
> 69G  37% /var
> tmpfs                                                   7.9G     0
> 7.9G   0% /tmp
>

> New options in bacula-sd.conf (thinking that we need a spool by drive)
> Device {
>   Name = Drive-0
>   .
>   .
>   .
>   Maximum Spool Size = 24gb
>   Maximum Job Spool Size = 12gb
>   Spool Directory = /var/lib/bacula/spool/drive0
> }
>
> Device {
>   Name = Drive-1
>   .
>   .
>   .
>   Maximum Spool Size = 24gb
>   Maximum Job Spool Size = 12gb
>   Spool Directory = /var/lib/bacula/spool/drive0
> }

If you backup all 8 machines concurrently you should set your Job
Spool Size to something around "available diskspace / 8". Also be
aware that you need additional spool space for spooling attributes
which is enabled by default when using data spooling. Think of data
spooling as some form of cache to pack things together before
committing to database and tape.

Regards

Andreas