Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows Server 2012 with built-in deduplication

2013-09-04 09:49:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows Server 2012 with built-in deduplication
From: "Bojan Zdrnja (SANS ISC)" <bojan.isc AT gmail DOT com>
To: Sean Cardus <Sean AT zebra.co DOT uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2013 15:46:11 +0200
Hi Sean

From: Bojan Zdrnja (SANS ISC) [mailto:bojan.isc AT gmail DOT com]

>Thanks for taking the time to check this.
>
>As I said, it's all working for me now OK after I deduplicated one server, the backups are flowing nicely.
>I'll keep an eye on the development for this; it might be good to post a note somewhere so other potential
>users with Windows 2012 are aware of this.

I wonder if you've found a bug in the implementation somewhere?  According to the MS documentation, a backup application that doesn't use the de-dupe API should see the files as normal non-optimised files...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831600.aspx

"In non-optimized backup and restore, the backup application does not use the Data Deduplication backup and restore API. Instead, the backup application opens the files and copies them without specifying the reparse point flag.

The optimized files are coped to the backup volume as normal files, not as optimized files. The conversion from optimized files to normal files is performed transparently in memory by Data Deduplication when the backup application copies the files. Restoring from such a backup store is a normal file-copy operation.

The size of the data in a non-optimized backup is normally much larger than the original optimized volume because of the space savings that is provided by deduplication. A full volume restore from a non-optimized backup will usually not fit on the original or an equivalently sized volume."

I saw that too and thought that it should work normally - but it doesn't.
The server I tested this on (our file server) is a fully updated Windows 2012 server.

After turning off deduplication and actually deduplicating the files (as I wrote in a previous e-mail), backups started working without any issues.

Whether it's a bug in Windows 2012 or a problem for Bacula's Windows client I don't know ...

Cheers,

Bojan