Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Trying to understand file-based pools and datestamped volume labels - volume prune and recycling

2013-07-11 03:41:55
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Trying to understand file-based pools and datestamped volume labels - volume prune and recycling
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 09:38:41 +0200
On Wed, Jul 10, 2013 at 10:00:20PM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 07/10/13 18:38, Chris Harrison wrote:
> > Also, is there a nicer way to have one file with a clear filename per
> > job but also to have fully automated volume recycling so I don't just
> > fill up our NAS?
>
> The big problem with trying to set up a file-based storage system with
> one file per job is that unless you get into multiple virtual Storage
> devices, you can only run one job at a time because you can only have
> one Volume open per storage device at a time.  That gets messy fast.

Also, you might run into a conflict with using both maximum volume
jobs *and* maximum volume bytes at the same time; I've never tried
that but I think it might confuse bacula a bit about what you really
are trying to achieve.

We run a similar setup to yours (online backups to disk with one job /
volume), but we're copying the client's "full" volumes to tape monthly
for offsite storage. Depending on your number of clients, I'd
recommend creating separate pools, storages and media types for each
client so you'll be able to run parallel jobs.

Cheers, Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA