Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Intervention needed, asking for tape not in library

2013-07-02 10:10:37
Subject: [Bacula-users] Intervention needed, asking for tape not in library
From: "Kevin B. Zimmerman" <kevin.zimmerman AT kitware DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 10:07:16 -0400
Greetings -

I'm running Bacula 5.2.5 on an Ubuntu 12.04.2 server, with an attached
Dell PVTL2000 tape library.  Everything has been working fine for a
little while, until I decided to get another tape magazine to swap tapes
in/out of the library for easier transition to offsite storage.

Here's my dilemma:

I use the tape library for Spool jobs.

Once I swap the old magazine out (following the instructions at
http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/main/main/Autochanger_Resource.html#SECTION002950000000000000000),

Bacula refuses to automatically use any tapes in the newly-inserted
magazine.  One of the tapes in the old magazine is in Append mode, and
it keeps asking for that tape despite it (and the other tapes from the
old magazine) not being marked as In Changer.  I can manually force
Bacula to unmount/update slots/mount and name a specific tape to use,
but once that tape fills up it goes back to asking for the tape from the
other magazine:

19-Jun 11:46 khq-backups2-sd JobId 11304: Please mount Volume "000003L5" or
label a new one for:
     Job:          Spool-www-Tape.2013-06-18_06.10.00_32
     Storage:      "LTO-5-1" (/dev/nst0)
     Pool:         Tape
     Media type:   LTO-5

Some relevant info:

In trying to reduce network overhead, the backup server has been added
to each of the VLANs where the Bacula clients reside, resulting in
numerous file and tape storage definitions.  I have had no problems with
backing up to files.  Here's a subset of the file/tape definitions:

Storage {
   Name = File_2
   Address = 192.168.1.35
   SDPort = 9103
   Password = "<redacted>"
   Device = DiskStorage
   Media Type = File
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 7
}

Storage {
   Name = File_3
   Address = 192.168.113.35
   SDPort = 9103
   Password = "<redacted>"
   Device = DiskStorage
   Media Type = File
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 7
}

Storage {
   Name = TapeLibrary_2
   Address = 192.168.1.35
   SDPort = 9103
   Password = "<redacted>"
   Device = Autochanger
   Media Type = LTO-5
   Autochanger = yes
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 7
}

Storage {
   Name = TapeLibrary_3
   Address = 192.168.113.35
   SDPort = 9103
   Password = "<redacted>"
   Device = Autochanger
   Media Type = LTO-5
   Autochanger = yes
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 7
}

And here's the config for the Autochanger/tape drive:

Autochanger {
   Name = Autochanger
   Device = LTO-5-1
  Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/scripts/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
   Changer Device = /dev/tape/by-id/scsi-1IBM_3573-TL_00X2U78X8563_LL0
}

Device {
   Name = LTO-5-1
   Media Type = LTO-5
   Archive Device = /dev/nst0
   Spool Directory = /storage/spool
   Maximum Spool Size = 1500G
   AutomaticMount = yes;
   AlwaysOpen = yes;
   RemovableMedia = yes;
   RandomAccess = no;
   Maximum File Size = 5GB
   AutoChanger = yes
   Autoselect = yes
  Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error %c'"
}

The problem has not been limited to a specific VLAN.

Prior to adding the second magazine, it was using the tapes in the
changer just fine, overwriting old, changing status as appropriate, etc.

I've been using Bacula for about 6 months, and haven't had a problem
getting past any issues until now.  No idea what I'm missing here. What
other info did I fail to provide?  Any thoughts on what's going on?

Thanks,

--
Kevin B. Zimmerman