Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula security

2013-07-02 08:36:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula security
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 08:32:43 -0400
On 7/1/2013 4:09 PM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is an interesting subject and what everyone says is correct.
> I have been thinking over the past few months about how to
> improve security, and although we already have one way that
> the FD can drop permissions to become a backup only FD,
> I have been thinking about two additions:
>
> 1. A command line option and/or perhaps a Directive that
> forces the FD into read-only mode -- i.e. it can only do
> Backups but no restores.  Of course, to do restores, one
> would have to turn off the service and restart it (or another
> one) with restore permission if one wanted to do restores.
>
> 2. Implementation of a ScriptsDirectory that would allow the FD
> to run scripts only from that Directory rather than from any
> Directory.

A ScriptsDirectory is a good idea, although I would add that it is
essential that the ScriptsDirectory must NOT be restorable, else a
compromised Dir could place any script it wants in the ScriptDirectory
in a two-step attack. #2 does not make any difference unless used in
conjunction with #1.

Also, another approach is a command line option or FD directive to
disallow scripts so that each FD could enable or disable scripts
altogether. Using PKI data encryption together with the ability to
disable scripts would allow for fairly safe restores, since the FD's
private key would be needed to alter any files being restored and a
compromised Dir could not run commands to alter the FD's private key
even when FD was running as root.