Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula security

2013-07-01 09:54:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula security
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 01 Jul 2013 09:51:50 -0400
On 07/01/13 09:11, Grant wrote:

>>> Thanks for your help.  I don't think I have the b*lls to give root
>>> read/write on every system to the backup server. :)
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>
>> You are free to operate the FD (Client) with any permission you like,
>> but you have to take care that the FD is able to read anything you
>> like to backup and i case of restore it should be able to write and
>> maybe to "chown" the files in question.
>
> I may have misunderstood before.  The FD runs on the client machines,
> correct?  Read and writing to localhost is no problem.  What worries
> me is one machine having root read(/write) permission on another
> machine.  Can bacula operate without that?

The Director does not connect to client machines at all except through
the FD.  So you have probably misunderstood something, yes.

That said, the Director can run more-or-less-arbitrary commands on the
client through the FD with the FD's privileges, and if you want Bacula
to be able to back up and restore all data on the system it must run  as
root, so if your Director is compromised, it can almost certainly be
used to gain access to the clients.  However, it should already go
without saying that your Director, since it has access to all the backup
data of all clients, needs to be carefully controlled.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.