Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula security

2013-07-01 07:10:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula security
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2013 12:07:07 +0100

> I'm currently pushing backups from each system to a central backup
> server via rdiff-backup.  However, I realized that push backups are
> not safe because if one of the systems is compromised, the infiltrator
> could delete all of that system's backups with a command like this:
>
> rdiff-backup --remove-older-than 1s [email protected]::/path/to/backup

The Bacula client can't delete its own backups, so it is safe against that
problem.

> Pull backups don't seem secure because if the central server is
> compromised, the infiltrator would have root read privileges on every
> backed-up system and would thereby be able to gain root access to
> those systems.

Bacula does have root read (and write) privileges on every backed-up system,
but you can encrypt the backups before sending them to the central server.
Bacula can also sign the backups, so the client can verify that a restore
doesn't contain modified data.  You still have to keep the encryption/signing
keys secure of course.

__Martin