Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Full Backup from NFS mount very slow

2013-05-27 13:58:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Full Backup from NFS mount very slow
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 13:53:37 -0400
On 05/27/13 07:42, DAHLBOKUM Markus (FPT INDUSTRIAL) wrote:
> up to now I did my backup via FD and SD on two different machines. But
> as the main job gets a broken pipe when waiting for the second tape, I
> now switched back to FD and SD on the same machine and mounting the
> directories to be backed up as NFS mounts.
>
> The transfer rate over the network FD was between 40 and 65 MB/s (1Gbit
> LAN, LTO4 drive).
>
> Now with NFS I get 600 kB/s.

Doing backups over NFS is almost invariably a bad idea.  You would be
much better off to simply put a Bacula client on the machine you're now
backing up via NFS mounts and back it up directly.

(Truth to tell, this is even more true of the machine in question is
running Linux.  The Linux nfsd, honestly, is and always has been a poor
implementation.)

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.