Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Verifying backup chain

2013-05-16 14:42:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Verifying backup chain
From: Dylan Martin <Dylan.Martin AT seattlecolleges DOT edu>
To: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 11:38:44 -0700
Thank you very much for your answers!

When restoring, is the chain of backups determined then, or is it recorded in the catalog or backup files?  By that I mean, does the director calculate which backups to use by looking at the timestamp on each and assuming that the incremental following a previous backup must be incremental relative to that backup?  Or, is there somewhere recorded the time stamp which each incremental/differential is relative to?  For example:  Say I have a full backup called A, and three incrementals called B,C & D.  If I removed C, would a restore job restore A, then B then stop because C is missing, or would it continue with D because D is the next successful backup?  I'm assuming here that the catalog and volumes are in sync.  The madman who removed C removed the volume and the records from the DB.

Thanks again for your help.  You rule!
-Dylan