Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Verifying backup chain

2013-05-15 19:14:59
Subject: [Bacula-users] Verifying backup chain
From: Dylan Martin <Dylan.Martin AT seattlecolleges DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 16:11:26 -0700
Hi all, I'm pretty new to bacula and I love it so far.  I was using duplicity to back up servers, which was not much fun.

I'm working on deleting old backups to make space on my not-so-big backup disk, and in the process I'm trying to figure out what incremental and differential backups depend on what.  From what I can tell, the catalog does not explicitly contain that information and it has to be inferred from the order backups were made.

To review, The docs say that a full backup is everything, a differential is all the changes since the last full backup and an incremental is only the changes since the last backup of any kind.  So, if I do a full backup followed by 10 incrementals, I need all 10 incrementals and the full backup to restore the system to the state is was at during the most recent backup.  If I do a full backup, 5 incrementals, a differential and then 5 more incrementals, I would need the full backup, the differential and the last 5 incrementals to restore the system to the state it was in at the most recent backup.  if I do a full backup, 5 incrementals, a differential, 5 incrementals, a differential, 5 incrementals, a differential and 5 incrementals, I need the full backup, the last differential and the last 5 incrementals.  (sorry for the agonizing sentence, but I wanted to be clear).

Now to my question(s):

1) Do I have it right so far?

2) If a differential fails (is cancelled, disk fills up, whatever) will subsequent incrementals be relative to whatever succeeded before the the failed differential?  Relative to a previous differential?  Will subsequent incrementals be promoted to differential?

3) If I delete a full backup from the catalog, will bacula know that any dependant jobs are now orphans?  If the next scheduled job is an incremental, what happens?  Does it do a full? Does it make the incremental relative to the most recent full backup prior to the one I blew away?

4) is there a way to check that an incremental job has all the parts of the chain needed to restore it?

5) If a train leaves Paris at 9:10 AM traveling at 80kmph and a bus leaves London at 8:45 am traveling at 30Mph, what is the angle at which they will intersect?

Thanks All
-Dylan