Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] disaster recovery version 2.4 -> 5.2

2013-04-23 02:02:05
Subject: [Bacula-users] disaster recovery version 2.4 -> 5.2
From: Ross Boylan <ross AT biostat.ucsf DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 22:58:56 -0700
I had a system running bacula 2.4 (Debian lenny, 32 bit Pentium).  This system
was backing itself up; all the bacula components were on it.  The machine
died, along with the primary disk.

I would like to recover from the backups to a system running bacula 5.2.6
(Debian testing, soon to be wheezy, 64 bit core i3).

I backed up to disk and then copied the files around.  I have the backup files,
the bsrs and, as one of the files backed up, a dump of the catalog (I also have
a backup of the original database after it was shut down, but that's probably
not as useful.)  I also have at least old versions of the conf files (outside
of the backup data, which of course has the latest versions) and the key files.

The old system used Postgres 8.3 (or 8.2); the new has 9.1, though 8.4 is also
available.  I've installed bacula and postgres on the new system from Debian
packages.

Any advice on how to proceed?

In particular, will the bsr's from 2.4 be useable with 5.2?  Will the backup
sets be readable/in the right format?

Given that I have the bsr's, is recovering the original database a good idea?
What would be involved?  I'm guessing that once I manage to extract the dump
from the backup files I'd need to insert it in the database (after deleting its
current contents) and then run upgrade scripts on it.

Does 32 vs 64 bit raise any extra issues?

If there are big compatibility issues, I could reconstruct the old system in a
VM.  I'm sure that would be a bit of a project, and so I'd prefer to avoid it.

Thanks for any help.
Ross Boylan

P.S. My searching found information on recovering from a crash within the same
version and upgrading a functioning system across versions; it didn't find
anything about the combination of version change and disaster.