Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Questions about a mysql configuration issue I encountered

2013-04-22 15:18:28
Subject: [Bacula-users] Questions about a mysql configuration issue I encountered
From: Marc Chamberlin <marc AT marcchamberlin DOT com>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 12:00:14 -0700
This may be a Linux (openSuSE) distro error, but not knowing the
internals of how Bacula gets configured, I thought I would ask my
question here first.

I get Bacula from the openSuSE (12.3) repositories, and as such I do not
have to compile/install Bacula from source, theoretically. The
repository contains what are called meta packages for Bacula, which
select from a set of other Bacula packages that have been pre-configured
for whatever database type one wishes to use. I chose the one for usage
with MySQL.

The installation with fine, I set up MySQL with out any problem, and
everything checked out OK. However, when I started up the Bacula
daemons, and it tried to do it's first backup, I encountered an error
when it tried to create a backup of the catalog itself and got an error
message reporting that there was no such file or directory called pg_dump.

I tracked this error  to the shell script file - make_catalog_backup -
where I discovered that pg_dump is a file that is to be used when using
PostgreSQL. I also learned that this script expects the name of the
database type to be passed in as the 5th parameter, and if it does not
recognize the database type, it was defaulting to using PostgreSQL. I
hacked this script and changed the default database type to mysql and
that worked!

Note: the backups of various other computers on my network is proceeding
fine also, so I believe I have installed Bacula correctly.

So for my questions -

1. Shouldn't the default databases type in this script have been set to
mysql when the openSuSE developers set up Bacula for distribution? I
presume they built it with the .configure parameter set to mysql for the
MySQL meta package that I installed.

2. My second question is a bit more nuanced. OpenSuSE12.3 is no longer
supplying MySQL. Instead they are supplying MariaDB which is supposed to
be 100% compatible with MySQL (so they claim). I do not know where or
how the make_catalog_backup script is called from, so I don't know what
got passed in as the 5th parameter specifying the database type, (I
could investigate further if necessary) but I wonder if this changeover
to using MariaDB instead of MySQL might have confused things?

3. Is this a bug that should be reported to the Bacula developers, or to
the OpenSuSE distro/packaging team?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice offered....     Marc..

-- "The Truth is out there" - Spooky