Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Vchanger attempts to mount 5 volumes before stopping and requesting magazine change

2013-04-15 15:34:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Vchanger attempts to mount 5 volumes before stopping and requesting magazine change
From: Bill Arlofski <waa-bacula AT revpol DOT com>
To: Leon White <leon.white AT greenpeace DOT org>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 15:31:38 -0400
On 04/12/13 04:47, Leon White wrote:
> That said, I am sticking to manually issuing the commands for now until I at
> least have a full backup completed. I decided not to use Bill's new script
> just yet, mainly because it takes a long time to cycle through all the
> non-mounted drives and disable them, even if they are already disabled. We
> have around 18 magazines (2TB drives have 2 magazines), each with 186 volumes,
> so it just took too long watching text scroll on the screen for what should be
> a quick drive switch operation. Instead, I issue something like 'benablemag 5
> 0' followed by 'benablemag 6 1', and set all drives to disabled immediately
> after formatting and adding the UUID to vchanger config.

Leon, I only have (9) drives each with 69 volumes on them and I also notice
that it takes more time than I would like (and adds many lines to the job
output)

That script was a quick write-up as kind of a proof-of-concept to automate
Josh's benablemag script. My script/implementation works, yes, but [IMHO] it
is not optimal - for the reasons you mention.

When I have a few mins, I plan on re-visiting that script and maybe use SQL
queries to bulk enable/disable volumes instead. Without looking now, I am
pretty sure that would entail just a few queries to do the job instead of one
bconsole enable or disable command for each volume and will work much much
faster.

I'll let you know what I come up with.

--
Bill Arlofski