Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] how to proceed after i/o error during bscan?

2013-04-16 02:56:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] how to proceed after i/o error during bscan?
From: Geert Stappers <Geert.Stappers AT vanadgroup DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 08:53:26 +0200
Op 2013-04-15 om 04:14 schreef Michael Stauffer _g:
> Bacula 3.0.1
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm tantalizingly near the end of a bscan reconstruciton of a catalog over 35
> tapes. You may remember my posts starting mid February - it took a while but
> it
> also turns out both drives in my device had failed, so they've been replaced.
>
> It's taken 11 days so far to get to tape 30 out of 35, and ... an i/o error
> has
> occured.
>
> bscan: bscan.c:650 Could not find Job for SessId=9 SessTime=1358880703 record.
> 14-Apr 17:47 bscan JobId 0: Error: block.c:1004 Read error on fd=3 at file:blk
> 1202:13403 on device "LTO5-0" (/dev/st0). ERR=Input/output error.
> Bacula status: file=1202 block=13403
> Device status: ONLINE IM_REP_EN file=1202 block=-1
>
> The bscan process is still running. Currently 'mt -f /dev/st0 status' is
> returning "/dev/st0: Device or resource busy".
>
> Assuming I can get the tape 30 in the drive working again, how do I proceed?
>
> Do I return to the bscan process and hit 'enter' to see if it will start again
> from tape 30?
>
> Do I kill the bscan process and start again from tape 30? Can I assume that
> whatever it finds on tape will be added to whatever's been added to the
> database so far?
>
> Or do I have to start from scratch?! I hope not!!!

I think^Wassume that bscan can/SHOULD handle a single tape cartridge.

This is the command line the original poster shared with us on 2013-04-02
 ./bscan -b /bacula/bscanVolsBootstrap.bsr -c /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf -v -s
-m /dev/st0

The tricky part might in the high tech stuff behind /dev/st0.
If /dev/st0 is simple tape drive, it will scan a single tape.
However if /dev/st0 is a tape library, expect that is goes through _all_ tapes.

So check what kind of hardware your /dev/st0 is.

In other words:
  I understand the wish to avoid thirty tapes again,
  but I'm not familar with bscan, neither known what /dev/st0
  the OP has.

Groeten Stappers