Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up Windiows 7 64-bit

2013-04-01 11:28:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up Windiows 7 64-bit
From: dweimer <dweimer AT dweimer DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 10:25:32 -0500
On 04/01/2013 9:53 am, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> So, after a mostly-unsuccessful[1] experiment with Acronis TrueImage,
> I've decided to revisit backing up the four Windows 7/64 machines on
> my
> network using Bacula.  However, I understand there is significant
> complexity in correctly handling mount points in the Windows Vista/7
> family.  Also, since the OS files on the four should be more similar
> than anything else on ,my network, I think they'd probably be a good
> test case for base jobs.
>
> So:  Does anyone who has Bacula working on 64-bit Windows 7 (three
> Win7
> Home, one Win7 Pro, if that makes a difference) have a working-example
> fileset and configuration for Windows 7 clients?  Anything else I need
> to know about Windows 7 64-bit and Bacula?
>
> All tips appreciated.
>

> [1]  Image backup mode worked well, but file-level was so slow as to
> be
> unusable (two hours into file-level backup of a machine with 320GB of
> mirrored SATA2 disk, on which an image backup completes in maybe 30
> minutes, it was estimating five and a half days to complete).  Two of
> the four test clients immediately configured to use the desired NAS
> backup share on the first try; the remaining two, I had to fight with
> for an hour on that point alone.
>

> --
>   Phil Stracchino, CDK#2     DoD#299792458     ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
>   alaric AT caerllewys DOT net   alaric AT metrocast DOT net   phil AT
> co.ordinate DOT org
>   Renaissance Man, Unix ronin, Perl hacker, SQL wrangler, Free Stater
>                  It's not the years, it's the mileage.

I am using this configuration with windows 8, didn't change it any when
I updated from windows 7.  Both Pro x64, I haven't ran one on home
version.

Note below, I have two Disk drives setup, C: and J:, J: is a software
iSCSI drive in this setup, it does run a little slow, about 5MB/s but I
am using gzip, and drive J: contains VMware virtual machines, which
compress around 62% which accounts for the sluggishness.  Make sure you
install the 64bit version of the software or VSS will not work, also the
installer will likely fail to properly generate the configuration files,
in my case the director configuration on the monitor part had blank
values, which caused the service to fail to start.  Obviously below my
passwords have been removed, so make sure you put some real data in
those if you copy and modify my configuration.

Runs fairly well, but VSS seems to fail causing the backup to fail
every three to four days.

Server Client Configuration:
Client {
   Name = workstation-fd
   Password = ...
   Address = workstation.dweimer.local
   FDPort = 9102
   Catalog = MyCatalog
   AutoPrune = yes
   File Retention = 20 days
   Job Retention = 20 days
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 4
}

FileSet {
   Name = Workstation
   Enable VSS = Yes
   Ignore FileSet Changes = Yes
   Include {
     File = "C:/"
     File = "J:/"
     Options {
       signature = MD5
       Compression = GZIP5
       OneFS = yes
       Accurate = yes
     }
   }
   Exclude {
     File = "*$RECYCLE.BIN"
     File = "*$Recycle.Bin"
     File = "*:/Temp"
     File = "*:/Windows/Temp"
     File = "*:/hiberfil.sys"
     File = "*:/pagefile.sys"
     File = "*:/System Volume Information"
     File = "*:/*.vmem"
   }
}

Job {
   Name = Workstation
   JobDefs = DefaultJob
   Client = workstation-fd
   FileSet = Workstation
   Schedule = WeeklyCycle
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 4
}

PC File Daemon Configuration:
FileDaemon {
   Name = workstation-fd
   FDport = 9102
   WorkingDirectory = "C:\\Program Files\\Bacula\\working"
   Pid Directory = "C:\\Program Files\\Bacula\\working"
   Plugin Directory = "C:\\Program Files\\Bacula\\plugins"
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 10
}

Director {
   Name = bacula-dir
   Password = "..."
}

Director {
   Name = bacula-mon
   Password = "..."
   Monitor = yes
}

Messages {
   Name = Standard
   director = bacula-dir = all, !skipped, !restored
}

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer