Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Migrating to Newer Version of PGSQL

2013-03-26 20:17:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Migrating to Newer Version of PGSQL
From: Doug Sampson <dougs AT dawnsign DOT com>
To: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 00:08:44 +0000

> You might run Baculas "dbcheck" to prune unused entries in the
> database before migration.

I ran:
root@pisces:/~# su -m bacula -c '/usr/local/sbin/dbcheck -B -c /usr/local/etc/bacula-dir.conf'
catalog=MyCatalog
db_name=bacula
db_driver=
db_user=bacula
db_password=
db_address=
db_port=0
db_socket=
db_type=PostgreSQL
working_dir=/var/db/bacula
root@pisces:/~#

It completed within seconds. Looks good, no?

No, :)

Option '-B' just print catalog configuration and exit. Check a manual, documentation or in application help.

Use it without '-B' parameter and supply database connection parameters. Then check your instance.

I read up on it and ran dbcheck with the desired parameters and found millions of orphaned records! I now recall that we’ve had various clients that we used to back up over the years but since then have dropped them as clients. I’m now eliminating these orphans as I type this.

Thanks for the pointer!

~Doug