Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Migrating to Newer Version of PGSQL

2013-03-25 17:31:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Migrating to Newer Version of PGSQL
From: lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 22:28:13 +0100
Zitat von Doug Sampson <dougs AT dawnsign DOT com>:

>> Questions:
>>
>> 1) Do I actually need to remove the bacula packages?

 From Bacula point of view, no. But your package system might force
you because of dependencies. If you compile from source it will be
better to link Bacula against the actual used PostgreSQL libs.

>> 2) Are there any special steps that I'm missing when configuring the
>> bacula databases? Do I need to run 'update-bacula-tables' somewhere in
>> there?

The "update-bacula-tables" is only needed for Bacula updates. Database
upgrades has no need to later the data/schema used by Bacula.

>> 3) Is PGSQL 9.2 considered stable? 9.1 had some serious bugs but these
>> appeared to have been squashed.

There should be no big difference because 9.2 is a minor release. In
general PostgreSQL is one of the more reliable databases.

>> 4) Are there any special parameters I need to consider when going from
>> PGSQL 8.3 to 9.2 especially in the postgresql.conf?

Tune for inserts:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server

>> 5) Any other caveats?

You might run Baculas "dbcheck" to prune unused entries in the
database before migration.

>> 6) pg_upgrade: I came across this new function. Apparently you can upgrade
>> databases from 8.3.x to 9.2.x with some caveats as described in the "
>> Limitations in Upgrading from PostgreSQL 8.3" section of this link
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/pgupgrade.html. If you've used
>> this, would you care to share your experiences?

No, never used, but in general the PostgreSQL database and tools
simply does what is expected, so it should just work.

Regards

Andreas