Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Migrating to Newer Version of PGSQL

2013-03-22 20:33:47
Subject: [Bacula-users] Migrating to Newer Version of PGSQL
From: Doug Sampson <dougs AT dawnsign DOT com>
To: bacula-users at lists.sourceforge.net <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 00:13:22 +0000
I need to migrate Bacula from PGSQL 8.3 as it's being EOL'ed. The newest
version of PGSQL available in the FreeBSD ports tree is 9.2. Below are the
steps I've taken to describe the migration process:

Backup PGSQL config file(s)
        /home/pgsql/pg_hba.conf
        /home/pgsql/postgresql.conf

Backup Bacula config file(s)
        /usr/local/etc/bacula-dir.conf
        /usr/local/etc/bacula-fd.conf
        /usr/local/etc/bacula-sd.conf
        /usr/local/etc/bconsole.conf

Dump PGSQL Bacula DB
        /usr/local/bin/pg_dump bacula -v /home/bacula.sql

Rename PG data directory
        mv /home/pgsql /home/pgsql.old

Stop PGSQL & Bacula processes
        /usr/local/etc/rc.d/z-bacula.sh stop
        /usr/local/etc/rc.d/postgresql stop

Uninstall Bacula Server & Client and any other Bacula package
        cd /usr/ports/sysutils/bacula-server && make deinstall clean
        cd /usr/ports/sysutils/bacula-client && make deinstall clean

Uninstall Postgresql 8.3 Server & Client
        cd /usr/ports/databases/postgresql83-server && make deinstall clean
        cd /usr/ports/databases/postgresql83-client && make deinstall clean

Install Postgresql 9.2
        Install /usr/ports/databases/postgresql92-server
        Install /usr/ports/databases/postgresql92-client

Initialize PGSQL db
        initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
        if this gives you an error message
        stop pgsql then 'rm -rf /home/pgsql/data'
        start pgsql
        then 'initdb -D /home/pgsql/data'   - should work this time

Install Bacula
        cd /usr/ports/sysutils/bacula-server && make install clean
        cd /usr/ports/sysutils/bacula-client && make install clean

Restore PGSQL config files
        /home/pgsql/pg_hba.conf
        /home/pgsql/postgresql.conf

Restore Bacula config files
        /usr/local/etc/bacula-dir.conf
        /usr/local/etc/bacula-fd.conf
        /usr/local/etc/bacula-sd.conf
        /usr/local/etc/bconsole.conf

Configure Bacula as follows:
        make pgsql member of bacula group
        su pgsql
        /usr/local/share/bacula/create_bacula_database
        /usr/local/share/bacula/make_bacula_tables
        /usr/local/share/bacula/grant_bacula_privileges
        psql bacula < bacula.sql
                If cannot retrieve bacula.sql file for some reason, can
                restore from the most recent tape as follows:
                bextract <exact volume name of catalog> ('man bextract' for
                more details)
        start pgsql
        start bacula
        remove pgsql as member of bacula group

Test
        start bconsole and verify status of director
        start a simple backup job and verify

Questions:

1) Do I actually need to remove the bacula packages?

2) Are there any special steps that I'm missing when configuring the bacula
databases? Do I need to run 'update-bacula-tables' somewhere in there?

3) Is PGSQL 9.2 considered stable? 9.1 had some serious bugs but these appeared
to have been squashed.

4) Are there any special parameters I need to consider when going from PGSQL
8.3 to 9.2 especially in the postgresql.conf?

5) Any other caveats?

6) pg_upgrade: I came across this new function. Apparently you can upgrade
databases from 8.3.x to 9.2.x with some caveats as described in the "
Limitations in Upgrading from PostgreSQL 8.3" section of this link
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/pgupgrade.html. If you've used this,
would you care to share your experiences?

Thanks in advance.

~Doug