Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Migrating to Newer Version of PGSQL

2013-03-25 19:21:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Migrating to Newer Version of PGSQL
From: Doug Sampson <dougs AT dawnsign DOT com>
To: "lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de" <lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 23:16:50 +0000
> Zitat von Doug Sampson <dougs AT dawnsign DOT com>:
>

> >> Questions:
> >>
> >> 1) Do I actually need to remove the bacula packages?
>
>  From Bacula point of view, no. But your package system might force
> you because of dependencies. If you compile from source it will be
> better to link Bacula against the actual used PostgreSQL libs.

Okay.

> >> 2) Are there any special steps that I'm missing when configuring the
> >> bacula databases? Do I need to run 'update-bacula-tables' somewhere in
> >> there?
>
> The "update-bacula-tables" is only needed for Bacula updates. Database
> upgrades has no need to later the data/schema used by Bacula.

Good to know I don't need to run the 'update-Bacula-tables' command.

> >> 3) Is PGSQL 9.2 considered stable? 9.1 had some serious bugs but these
> >> appeared to have been squashed.
>
> There should be no big difference because 9.2 is a minor release. In
> general PostgreSQL is one of the more reliable databases.
>
> >> 4) Are there any special parameters I need to consider when going from
> >> PGSQL 8.3 to 9.2 especially in the postgresql.conf?
>
> Tune for inserts:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server

Yes, I've looked there. I didn't see anything useful that was introduced. Or am
I terribly mistaken?

> >> 5) Any other caveats?
>
> You might run Baculas "dbcheck" to prune unused entries in the
> database before migration.

I ran:
root@pisces:/~# su -m bacula -c '/usr/local/sbin/dbcheck -B -c
/usr/local/etc/bacula-dir.conf'
catalog=MyCatalog
db_name=bacula
db_driver=
db_user=bacula
db_password=
db_address=
db_port=0
db_socket=
db_type=PostgreSQL
working_dir=/var/db/bacula
root@pisces:/~#

It completed within seconds. Looks good, no?

> >> 6) pg_upgrade: I came across this new function. Apparently you can
> upgrade
> >> databases from 8.3.x to 9.2.x with some caveats as described in the "
> >> Limitations in Upgrading from PostgreSQL 8.3" section of this link
> >> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/pgupgrade.html. If you've
> used
> >> this, would you care to share your experiences?
>
> No, never used, but in general the PostgreSQL database and tools
> simply does what is expected, so it should just work.

The fact you've not used it yourself makes me want to stick to the
tried-and-found-true method of updating.

Thanks.

~Doug