Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Corrupted catalog on bad drive - please help!

2013-02-11 17:17:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Corrupted catalog on bad drive - please help!
From: Adrian Reyer <bacula-lists AT lihas DOT de>
To: Michael Stauffer _g <mgstauff AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 23:13:57 +0100
On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 04:09:52PM -0500, Michael Stauffer _g wrote:
> This seems to be a disk error, but I ran 'xfs_repair' anyway but it didn't
> fix anything, not surprising.

You could try a badblock scan as well.

> Catalog backups:
> There's a script running on the machine that backs up the catalog nightly to
> another disk using /usr/lib/bacula/make_catalog_backup and I have several
> days worth of these. This disc is backed up by bacula too. HOWEVER, looking
> at catalog.txt log (in the same dir as these backups, it looks like a log
> from make_catalog_backup ), it shows this error's been happening since Nov
> 2012, so my recent catalog dumps aren't going to be good.

You could alwaqys try and delete the wrong line from the dump.

> **** what's next?
> After replacing the bad disk:
> Can i reconstruct the catalog just from the backup data itself? It's on
> tapes, fwiw. How do I go about doing this?

You can do so with bscan, it will take quite some time, though.

> If I can get one of the old catalog dumps off one of the backup tapes, can I
> recontruct from that even though there have been backups since then?

If you find an old dump and restore it, you should be fine by just using
bscan for all 'tapes' that are more recently used than the dump you
restored.

> Do I resolve this with Bacula 3.0.1 before upgrading to the latest? Seems to
> make sense.

I'd use 3.0.1 as it avoids any catalog upgrade hassle that might kick
in.

Be aware I only started with Bacla 5.0 and never use a 3.0 myself.

Regards,
        Adrian
--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91