Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Corrupted catalog on bad drive - please help!

2013-02-11 16:13:10
Subject: [Bacula-users] Corrupted catalog on bad drive - please help!
From: "Michael Stauffer _g" <mgstauff AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Bacula_users_list_mgstauff_gmail" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 16:09:52 -0500

Hi everyone,

I've got a corrupted catalog on a bad disk and could really use some advice on how to proceed.

I'm very new to bacula (and pretty new to sysadmin after many years programming), and have inherited a bacula system that's been untended for a year and a half or more.

It's running Bacula 3.0.1, which I know is very old.

There's about 30TB of data backed up across about 5 jobs.

**** the issue

I'm seeing the error in bacula logs:

ERR=Duplicate entry '1828889455' for key 1

running dbcheck yields:

"Query failed: SELECT File.FileId,Job.JobId FROM File LEFT OUTER JOIN Job ON (File.JobId=Job.JobId) WHERE Job.JobId IS NULL LIMIT 300000: ERR=Table './bacula/File' is marked as crashed and should be repaired".

But running 'myisamchk -r -q File.MYI' yields:

"myisamchk: error: - check record delete-chain

Can't read delete-link at filepos: 13937713076

myisamchk: error: Quick-recover aborted; Run recovery without switch 'q'

Updating MyISAM file: File.MYI

MyISAM-table 'File.MYI' is not fixed because of errors

Try fixing it by using the --safe-recover (-o), the --force (-f) option or by not using the --quick (-q) flag"

Before running a more full recovery, I tried copying the database, but got this error:

"cp: reading `File.MYD': Input/output error"

This seems to be a disk error, but I ran 'xfs_repair' anyway but it didn't fix anything, not surprising.

Catalog backups:

There's a script running on the machine that backs up the catalog nightly to another disk using /usr/lib/bacula/make_catalog_backup and I have several days worth of these. This disc is backed up by bacula too. HOWEVER, looking at catalog.txt log (in the same dir as these backups, it looks like a log from make_catalog_backup ), it shows this error's been happening since Nov 2012, so my recent catalog dumps aren't going to be good.

**** what's next?

After replacing the bad disk:

Can i reconstruct the catalog just from the backup data itself? It's on tapes, fwiw. How do I go about doing this?

If I can get one of the old catalog dumps off one of the backup tapes, can I recontruct from that even though there have been backups since then?

Do I resolve this with Bacula 3.0.1 before upgrading to the latest? Seems to make sense.

Any suggestions or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Michael