Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Question regarding Volume rotation

2013-02-03 13:46:25
Subject: [Bacula-users] Question regarding Volume rotation
From: Nasos Nikologiannis <nasosnik AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 20:42:52 +0200
I have a Bacula test setup running in order to decide about volume rotation before migrating to production.

The setup includes multi pools with volume rotation, one pool per client per backup type (full, differential, incremental).

I observed that although I change the Volume Retention period to another (shorter) value, that doesn't reflect neither to actual volume rotation mechanism nor
to actual volumes number written to the disk (storage daemon). Maximum Volumes directive doesn't seem to work either.

The Volume Retention period for a client with incremental backup type was initially set to 20 minutes that resulted 5 Volumes given that the job was set to run every 5 minutes.
After changing the Volume Retention period to 10 minutes, Bacula kept rotating the same 5 Volumes as before ignoring the change (I restarted the director daemon just after the change to be sure).
I also tried to set Maximum Volumes directive to 3 but this was also ignored.

Is the above behaviour normal? I also want to ask what is the purpose of Maximum Volumes directive, given that the volume rotation is managed exclusively by Volume Retention period
(Volume Retention period decides when to start recycling the volumes).

Thank you in advance,