Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] full and incremental backups

2013-02-02 22:53:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] full and incremental backups
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 22:49:28 -0500
On Feb 2, 2013, at 6:39 AM, Adrian Reyer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Feb 01, 2013 at 09:56:21AM +0200, Süleyman Kuran wrote:
>> Now the problem; full and incremental backups are not bound to
>> pools, bacula just picks up the last full backup to compare,
>> regardless of the pool when preparing for the incremental. When I
>> remove the cartridgeout of the office, there is a chance that the
>> corresponding full backupsare still located in the library, and my
>> montly backup is useless without a recent full backup.
>> How can i make sure my monthly backup consists of a full backup and
>> incrementals derived from the full *on the same **media*
>
> What about a copy job, selected jobids by sql. You should be perfectly
> able to create a valid and complete backup. The drawback is, you need
> either more than 1 tape drive or sufficient disk storage to buffer it in
> between

I like the idea of copy job the best.

Take your full backup and copy it to a special pool, one which is always
destined for off site transport.

Your original backup remains on site.  No chance of a mix up.

If you want to try that, I've written stuff about copy jobs:

http://www.freebsddiary.org/bacula-disk-to-tape.php
http://www.freebsddiary.org/bacula-disk-to-tape-via-sql.php

Read them both, all the way through, before trying anything.  :)

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org