Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Question regarding Volume rotation

2013-02-03 14:52:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Question regarding Volume rotation
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Nasos Nikologiannis <nasosnik AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 14:47:54 -0500
On Feb 3, 2013, at 1:42 PM, Nasos Nikologiannis wrote:

> I have a Bacula test setup running in order to decide about volume rotation
> before migrating to production.
>
> The setup includes multi pools with volume rotation, one pool per client per
> backup type (full, differential, incremental).
>
> I observed that although I change the Volume Retention period to another
> (shorter) value, that doesn't reflect neither to actual volume rotation
> mechanism nor
> to actual volumes number written to the disk (storage daemon). Maximum
> Volumes directive doesn't seem to work either.
>
> The Volume Retention period for a client with incremental backup type was
> initially set to 20 minutes that resulted 5 Volumes given that the job was
> set to run every 5 minutes.
> After changing the Volume Retention period to 10 minutes, Bacula kept
> rotating the same 5 Volumes as before ignoring the change (I restarted the
> director daemon just after the change to be sure).
> I also tried to set Maximum Volumes directive to 3 but this was also ignored.
>
> Is the above behaviour normal? I also want to ask what is the purpose of
> Maximum Volumes directive, given that the volume rotation is managed
> exclusively by Volume Retention period
> (Volume Retention period decides when to start recycling the volumes).

Yes, this is expected behavior if you have not run the update command.

Run it in console to refresh:

* the pool definition
* the volume characteristics from the pool

Keep in mind: a Pool definition contains the parameters to be used when a
Volume is created.  Thereafter, it has no effect on that Pool.  Consider the
Pool definition to be template, not a set of common parameters.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org