Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Question regarding Volume rotation

2013-02-03 15:46:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Question regarding Volume rotation
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Nasos Nikologiannis <nasosnik AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 15:43:31 -0500
On Feb 3, 2013, at 3:35 PM, Nasos Nikologiannis wrote:

>> On Sun, Feb 3, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org> wrote:
>>
>> On Feb 3, 2013, at 1:42 PM, Nasos Nikologiannis wrote:
>>
>> > I have a Bacula test setup running in order to decide about volume
>> > rotation before migrating to production.
>> >
>> > The setup includes multi pools with volume rotation, one pool per client
>> > per backup type (full, differential, incremental).
>> >
>> > I observed that although I change the Volume Retention period to another
>> > (shorter) value, that doesn't reflect neither to actual volume rotation
>> > mechanism nor
>> > to actual volumes number written to the disk (storage daemon). Maximum
>> > Volumes directive doesn't seem to work either.
>> >
>> > The Volume Retention period for a client with incremental backup type was
>> > initially set to 20 minutes that resulted 5 Volumes given that the job was
>> > set to run every 5 minutes.
>> > After changing the Volume Retention period to 10 minutes, Bacula kept
>> > rotating the same 5 Volumes as before ignoring the change (I restarted the
>> > director daemon just after the change to be sure).
>> > I also tried to set Maximum Volumes directive to 3 but this was also
>> > ignored.
>> >
>> > Is the above behaviour normal? I also want to ask what is the purpose of
>> > Maximum Volumes directive, given that the volume rotation is managed
>> > exclusively by Volume Retention period
>> > (Volume Retention period decides when to start recycling the volumes).
>> >

>> Yes, this is expected behavior if you have not run the update command.
>>
>> Run it in console to refresh:
>>
>> * the pool definition
>> * the volume characteristics from the pool
>>
>> Keep in mind: a Pool definition contains the parameters to be used when a
>> Volume is created.  Thereafter, it has no effect on that Pool.  Consider the
>> Pool definition to be template, not a set of common parameters.
>>

> Thank you for your answer, I thought that Bacula automatically updates the
> pool definition since director is restarted.
> Regarding my second question, is the Maximum Volumes directive needed
> although the volume rotation is set by Volume Retention?

Yes.  Volume Retention indicates how long meta-data will be retained in the
Catalog before it can be considered a candidate for recycling.  Recycling will
not occur until Bacula is not permitted to create new Volumes.

Maximum Volumes is one such restriction which will [eventually] stop Bacula
from creating new Volumes.

Read
http://www.bacula.org/5.2.x-manuals/en/main/main/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html#SECTION002230000000000000000

--