Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] HP ultrium problem

2013-02-01 07:11:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] HP ultrium problem
From: lst_hoe02 AT kwsoft DOT de
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 13:09:05 +0100
Zitat von Tomasz Rozycki <rozycki.tomasz AT gmail DOT com>:

> I've exactly that tape
> http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/storage-media/product-detail.html?oid=27557
> and accoring to description = LTO-1 should have 200GB.
> So could you explain me if we talk about capacity of tape or capacity of
> bacula if you mean "100GB native capacity" ?

The marketing offers you a capacity calculated by estimate 2:1
compression ratio. So you have 100GB capacity but they claim 200GB
will fit because of compression. There is no magic compression so you
can test yourself how the actual ratio of your data is. Already
compressed or encrypted data can not be further compressed so the
ratio in this case is more of 1:1.

The real specs are hidden here:
http://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA4-2010EEE&doctype=brochure&doclang=EN_GB&searchquery=&cc=uk&lc=en

> I don't know what exactly mean "bloated data"?

Bloated data is data which much redundancy like uncompressed tif html
or text files. With this you will get a good compression ratio. With
jpeg and the like further compression is not useful at all.

Regards

Andreas