Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] HP ultrium problem

2013-02-01 04:39:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] HP ultrium problem
From: Marco van Wieringen <mvw AT planets.elm DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 09:35:42 +0000 (UTC)
Tomasz Rozycki <rozycki.tomasz <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I've exactly that tape
http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/storage-media/product-detail.html?oid=27557and
accoring to description = LTO-1 should have 200GB.
> So could you explain me if we talk about capacity of tape or capacity of
bacula if you mean "100GB native capacity" ?I don't know what exactly mean
"bloated data"?

Welcome in the tape vendor lying game.

See the actual accurate data:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linear_Tape-Open

And look at the Native Data Capacity.

e.g. LTO1 is 100 Gb period. That those vendors claim you get a 2:1 compression
ratio is nice but you most of the time don't get that unless you start
compressing text which may compress up to 10 times and you can put 1 Tb on
the cartridge.

Marco