Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Delete multiple volumes at once?

2013-02-01 06:00:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Delete multiple volumes at once?
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 11:56:05 +0100
On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 06:00:58PM -0500, Dan Langille wrote:
> On Jan 31, 2013, at 7:58 AM, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:
>
> > Hello list,
> >
> > is it possible to delete several bacula volumes in one go, say like
> > so:
> >
> > delete catalog=MyCatalog volume=v01 volume=vol2 ... yes   ?
>
> Script it.
>
> echo 'catalog=MyCatalog volume=v01 yes' | console

Hey Dan,

thanks for your reply, I'm aware of the above scripting possibility,
my question was aiming at the possibility of deleting several volumes
*at once* in one "delete" command.

> I'm assuming you know how to get a list of those volumes into a script…
>
> > I have several volumes with sizes in the hundreds of gigabytes and I
> > assume that deleting them or rather their corresponding file table
> > entries in one fell swoop (single delete from sql statement) would be
> > faster then deleting them one by one (which takes several hours per
> > volume on a 200GB file table with nearly one billion rows).
>
> Why does it take several hours per volumes to delete a volume?  You're just
> acting on the Catalog.
>
> Oh yes, deleting all the file and job references.  Well, perhaps we need to
> look at that took
>
> The database is lacking in referential integrity.  I wish it wasn't.  By
> rights, you should be able to go in
> and delete from the media table, and have everything be safe and sound.  i.e.
> no orphans.  But that's not
> the case, last time I checked.
>
> So.. yeah, be cautious there.  Sooner or later, you're going to have to let
> those records get deleted.

Yep, I also note that the mysql db size isn't reduced after deleting a
volume. I'm currently testing an "optimize table File" on a spare box
with 8gb RAM and 6-spindle raid5 volume, but the optimize statement
hasn't completed yet (started it last night around 10pm ;-)

Some stats:

# uptime
 12:07:23 up 13 days, 19:57,  2 users,  load average: 1.00, 1.01, 1.02

# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
 cached
Mem:       8176260    8132176      44084          0      78484
 7447564
-/+ buffers/cache:     606128    7570132
Swap:     10223608        144   10223464

# mystat
Id      User    Host    db      Command Time    State   Info
Progress
5       root    localhost       bacula  Query   52857   Repair by
sorting optimize table File     0.000
13      root     localhost      NULL    Query   0       NULL    show
full processlist 0.000
Variable_name    Value
Com_assign_to_keycache  0
Com_preload_keys        0
Com_show_keys           0
Handler_mrr_key_refills 0
Handler_read_key        0
Key_blocks_not_flushed  0
Key_blocks_unused       870519
Key_blocks_used         0
Key_blocks_warm         0
Key_read_requests       0
Key_reads               0
Key_write_requests      0
Key_writes              0

Server version: 5.5.27-MariaDB MariaDB Server, CentOS 6 64bit

MariaDB is eating about 1,6GB of RAM atm. Any settings I could optimize
to speed up the optimize process or should I leave as much memory for
fs caching as possible?

Cheers, Uwe

--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA