Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Is tape filling up too early?

2012-10-18 08:40:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Is tape filling up too early?
From: Sergio Belkin <sebelk AT gmail DOT com>
To: Stephen Thompson <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 09:37:40 -0300
2012/10/17 Stephen Thompson <stephen AT seismo.berkeley DOT edu>:

> I recently found out that I had a bad tape drive.
>
> With the tape in the drive run the following and see if it says there
> are errors:
>
> smartctl -a /dev/nst0
>

> If there are errors, it's wasting tape and hence less capacity.
>
> Stephen
>

> On 10/17/2012 11:14 AM, Sergio Belkin wrote:
>> Hi folks
>>
>> I'm using LTO3 tapes and are filling up too fast. They have supposedly
>> 800 GB. I know that never reach that capacity, but I am somewhat
>> surprised that is full with only ~ 333 GB!!  (lesser than a half)
>>

>> If I issue a "list media pool" command I get
>>
>> | MediaId | VolumeName   | VolStatus | Enabled | VolBytes        |
>> VolFiles | VolRetention | Recycle | Slot | InChanger | MediaType |
>> LastWritten         |
>> +---------+--------------+-----------+---------+-----------------+----------+--------------+---------+------+-----------+-----------+---------------------+
>> |     100 | LUNOCT12LTO3 | Full      |       1 | 421,590,177,792 |
>>   431 |   31,536,000 |       0 |    0 |         0 | LTO3      |
>> 2012-10-16 08:11:08 |
>>

>> Output of mt -f /dev/nst0  status
>>
>> SCSI 2 tape drive:
>> File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
>> Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x44 (no translation).
>> Soft error count since last status=0
>> General status bits on (41010000):
>>   BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN
>>
>> The volume was recycled with 'mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind;mt -f /dev/nst0 weof'
>>
>> My storage daemon config is as follow
>>
>> Storage {                             # definition of myself
>>    Name = superbackup-sd
>>    SDPort = 9103                  # Director's port
>>    WorkingDirectory = "/var/bacula/working"
>>    Pid Directory = "/var/run"
>>    Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
>>
>> }
>> Director {
>>    Name = superbackup-dir
>>    Password = "ucuc"
>> }
>> Director {
>>    Name = superbackup-mon
>>    Password = "ucuc"
>>    Monitor = yes
>> }
>> Device {
>>    Name = LTO3
>>    Media Type = LTO3
>>    Archive Device = /dev/nst0          #modificar a "1" para usar el DAT4S
>>    AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
>>    AlwaysOpen = yes;
>>    RemovableMedia = yes;
>>    Maximum Spool Size = 30g
>>    Maximum Job Spool Size = 20gb
>>    Spool Directory = /var/spool/bacula
>>    #Maximum Network Buffer Size =  10240
>>    #Hardware end of medium = No;
>>    Fast Forward Space File = yes
>>    #TWO EOF = yes
>> }
>>
>> Messages {
>>    Name = Standard
>>    director = supernoc-dir = all
>> }
> [...]

Thanks guys

These are my results:

smartctl version 5.36 [x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu] Copyright (C) 2002-6 Bruce Allen
Home page is http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/

Device: IBM      HH LTO Gen 3     Version: 76B0
Serial number: 1020024392
Device type: tape
Transport protocol: SAS
Local Time is: Thu Oct 18 09:34:18 2012 ART
Temperature Warning Disabled or Not Supported
TapeAlert Supported
TapeAlert: OK

Error counter log:
           Errors Corrected by           Total   Correction
Gigabytes    Total
               ECC          rereadDataCompEnableds/    errors
algorithm      processed    uncorrected
           fast | delayed   rewrites  corrected  invocations   [10^9
bytes]  errors
read:          0        0         0         0          0
0.000           0
write:         0        0         0         0          0
0.000           0

Non-medium error count:        0
Device does not support Self Test logging
[root@superback ~]#  mt -f /dev/nst0 compression 1
[root@superback ~]# tapeinfo -f /dev/sg0
Product Type: Disk Drive
Vendor ID: 'ServeRA '
Product ID: 'Supernoc Mirror '
Revision: 'V1.0'
Attached Changer: No
SerialNumber: '69D6045F'
SCSI ID: 0
SCSI LUN: 0
Ready: yes
BufferedMode: yes
Medium Type: Not Loaded
Density Code: 0x36
BlockSize: 3421510
DataCompEnabled: no
DataCompCapable: yes
DataDeCompEnabled: no
CompType: 0x30343546
DeCompType: 0x300000

Is "DataCompEnabled: no" correct even after running " mt -f /dev/nst0
compression 1" ?

Thanks in advance

Sergio Belkin  http://www.sergiobelkin.com
Watch More TV http://sebelk.blogspot.com