Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula possibly confused about label

2012-09-07 09:11:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula possibly confused about label
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, Chris Ord <Chris.Ord AT digitalpictures.com DOT au>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2012 09:09:16 -0400

> John,
> that is the confusing part(see bold)
>
> Device "Drive_0" (/dev/nst0) open but no Bacula volume is currently mounted.
>     Device is BLOCKED waiting for mount of volume "VARCD003", <-waiting for
> tape
>        Pool:        ArcD
>        Media type:  LTO5
>     Slot 4 is loaded in drive 0. <- It's telling  me it's loaded
> I know the write protect is not on as the tape was written to
> previously on the last archive run.
> I know bacula 'knows' about the tape because it was used previously
> about a month ago.
>
> Anyway as I have labelled all devices upto about VARCD007 I would
> expect bacula at the very least to
> a) offer to label the tape because the barcode calls it VARCD003.
> b) tell me which tape is in fact loaded.
> Confusing to say the least.
>
> I suppose really is there a way to tell bacula that this is in fact
> the correct tape and carry on?

If the tape does not have a valid label I do not believe there is a
way to force that without canceling the current job. Although in
bconsole you could force this volumes status to used and I believe
bacula will move on with the next tape. If you cancel the job then I
would issue label barcodes so that bacula puts a header on each
volume. Also if you do not want to stop the current job you can issue
unmount in bacula and use btape to read the label to see if it indeed
has a valid label.

John

--
John M. Drescher