Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 5.2.10 on Windows 2008 R2 server : 1 MByte/sec transfer rate, very slow

2012-09-05 05:24:19
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 5.2.10 on Windows 2008 R2 server : 1 MByte/sec transfer rate, very slow
From: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
To: Paul Van Wambeke <paul.vanwambeke AT br.fgov DOT be>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:21:24 +0000
> Using iperf I measured following performances :
>
> bacula-fd = the windows server 2008 R2 host, 1Gb/sec NIC bacula-dir = a linux
> ubuntu 10.04 PC, 1 100Mb/sec NIC bacula-sd = a linux ubuntu 10.04 server, 1
> Gbite/sec NIC
>

> iperf server            iperf client                Performance
> ----------------            --------------- --------------------
>
> bacula-fd                bacula-dir                10 MBytes/sec
> bacula-fd                bacula-sd                111 MBytes/sec
> bacula-dir                bacula-fd                10 MBytes/sec
> bacula-sd                bacula-fd                 26 MBytes/sec
>
> So normally the bacula client should be able to write to the bacula storage at
> 26MBytes/sec ?
>
> Any suggestions ?

Any crappy computer made in the last 5 years should be able to saturate a
gigabit link using iperf. The fact that you are only getting 26Mbytes/second
fd->sd is a bit worrying... it's well above the 1Mbit/second that bacula
appears to be limited to but it's still an indication of a major problem. I
haven't had that much experience with Hyper-V for performance testing but it
should be able to approach Xen which easily gets gigabit speeds for Windows
VMs. Is your switch up to the job?

James