Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 5.2.10 on Windows 2008 R2 server : 1 MByte/sec transfer rate, very slow

2012-09-05 03:54:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula 5.2.10 on Windows 2008 R2 server : 1 MByte/sec transfer rate, very slow
From: Paul Van Wambeke <paul.vanwambeke AT br.fgov DOT be>
To: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 09:51:36 +0200
On 5/09/2012 02:52, James Harper wrote:
>>       Hi
>>
>> I have Bacula 5.01 Director installed on a Linux Ubuntu 10.04 server, and a
>> Bacula 5.2.10 Client (Bacula-fd) running on a Windows Server 2008
>> R2 SP1 server, with Hyper-V role installed. Purpose is her to backup the host
>> server, not the virtual machines.
>>
>> Initially the backup transfer rate was extremely slow (kbytes/sec).
>> Changing the Network adapter (Broadcom NetXstreme 5714) settings to
>> Large end Offload (LSO) = off as suggested in some posts increased the
>> transfer rate to 1MB/sec, which is still 10 to 80 times slower than the
>> transfer
>> rates I have with other servers running Linux or Windows 7. Transferring a
>> file
>> 'by hand' over the net runs at 80 MB/sec ...So I suspect a problem with
>> Bacula-fd.
>>
>> Any idea how to configure the server so that I can get decent backup transfer
>> speeds ? I can't imagine these servers can't be managed by Bacula.
>>
> First use something like iperf to make sure that the problem is not bacula.
> Test all possible combinations of send/receive for the following:
>
> . host server
> . bacula sd server
> . another pc/server that is separate (can be linux or windows)
>
> That should give you concrete evidence as to whether the problem is related
> to bacula. Hyper-V network can be terribly difficult in some cases.
>
> James
>

> -----
> Aucun virus trouve dans ce message.
> Analyse effectuee par AVG - www.avg.fr
> Version: 2012.0.2197 / Base de donnees virale: 2437/5249 - Date: 04/09/2012

Thanks James for the suggestion.

I have made the performance tests : copying a file from the host server
to another Windows 7 PC was done at 80MBytes/sec.

Using iperf I measured following performances :

bacula-fd = the windows server 2008 R2 host, 1Gb/sec NIC
bacula-dir = a linux ubuntu 10.04 PC, 1 100Mb/sec NIC
bacula-sd = a linux ubuntu 10.04 server, 1 Gbite/sec NIC

iperf server            iperf client                Performance
----------------            --------------- --------------------

bacula-fd                bacula-dir                10 MBytes/sec
bacula-fd                bacula-sd                111 MBytes/sec
bacula-dir                bacula-fd                10 MBytes/sec
bacula-sd                bacula-fd                 26 MBytes/sec

So normally the bacula client should be able to write to the bacula
storage at 26MBytes/sec ?

Any suggestions ?

Paul

--