Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mixing incremental & full volume pools (disk based) during restore

2012-03-29 10:42:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mixing incremental & full volume pools (disk based) during restore
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:40:07 -0400
On 03/29/2012 09:59 AM, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 09:41:40AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
>> I confess I don't see why you'd need to do that.  But then, I keep all
>> my disk-based volumes in one place to start with, and have simply never
>> had a problem.
>
> Hi Phil,
>
> the reasons are mostly historical: I started doing incrementals to
> disk with fulls to tape, so I had a separate incremental disk pool and
> then simply added a 2nd disk pool for the full backups. This way, I
> can also later separate the pools to different disk devices
>
> I can also live with symlinks as I have a limited number of
> incr. volumes, but it sure would be nicer to have bacula select the
> correct pool automatically.
>
> I changed the media type in the sd config and the Storage definition
> in bacula-dir.conf like so:
>
> Device {
>   Name = FileStorage_incremental
>   Media Type = File-Diff
>   Archive Device = /mnt/disk/online_backup_incremental
>   LabelMedia = yes;
>   Random Access = Yes;
>   AutomaticMount = yes;
>   RemovableMedia = no;
>   AlwaysOpen = no;
> }
>
> Storage {
>   Name = FileStorage_incremental
>   Address = bacula-server
>   SDPort = 9103
>   Password = "XXXXX"
>   Device = FileStorage_incremental
>   Media Type = File-Diff
>   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 4
> }
>
> and restarted bacula. I then updated "pool from resource" for the
> incr. pool and "all volumes in pool", but the media type is still
> listed as "File" when I select "list media" in bconsole. Do I need to
> update the media table in mysql? Would it be simpler to merge both
> pools into a single one?

I don't think you should need to do either of those.  I have a total of
five pools - Full-Disk, Diff-Disk, Incr-Disk, and Full-Tape, plus a
scratch pool - but all of my disk volumes are in the same /spool/bacula
directory regardless of the four possible disk pools they belong to.
For me, this Just Works.  I have never had Bacula fail to find a volume
as you've described.  Bacula knows which volumes belong in which pools,
so I don't see a need to keep them separate.

Of course, you're doing a number of things differently than I am,
starting with having a separate Device for Full, Differential and
Incremental.  Still, I would just try putting all the volumes in the
same directory and adjusting the Archive Device settings accordingly.
There's really no difference between the different File storage devices;
if you don't try to separate them, you could even end up with more
flexibility because you can just let any Job use whichever device is
available to mount the volumes it needs.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.