Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mixing incremental & full volume pools (disk based) during restore

2012-03-29 10:01:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mixing incremental & full volume pools (disk based) during restore
From: Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:59:35 +0200
On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 09:41:40AM -0400, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> I confess I don't see why you'd need to do that.  But then, I keep all
> my disk-based volumes in one place to start with, and have simply never
> had a problem.

Hi Phil,

the reasons are mostly historical: I started doing incrementals to
disk with fulls to tape, so I had a separate incremental disk pool and
then simply added a 2nd disk pool for the full backups. This way, I
can also later separate the pools to different disk devices

I can also live with symlinks as I have a limited number of
incr. volumes, but it sure would be nicer to have bacula select the
correct pool automatically.

I changed the media type in the sd config and the Storage definition
in bacula-dir.conf like so:

Device {
  Name = FileStorage_incremental
  Media Type = File-Diff
  Archive Device = /mnt/disk/online_backup_incremental
  LabelMedia = yes;
  Random Access = Yes;
  AutomaticMount = yes;
  RemovableMedia = no;
  AlwaysOpen = no;
}

Storage {
  Name = FileStorage_incremental
  Address = bacula-server
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "XXXXX"
  Device = FileStorage_incremental
  Media Type = File-Diff
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 4
}

and restarted bacula. I then updated "pool from resource" for the
incr. pool and "all volumes in pool", but the media type is still
listed as "File" when I select "list media" in bconsole. Do I need to
update the media table in mysql? Would it be simpler to merge both
pools into a single one?

All the best, Uwe
--
NIONEX --- Ein Unternehmen der Bertelsmann AG