Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mixing incremental & full volume pools (disk based) during restore

2012-03-29 09:01:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mixing incremental & full volume pools (disk based) during restore
From: Craig Van Tassle <cvantassle AT purdue DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:59:05 -0400
On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 14:08:11 +0200
Uwe Schuerkamp <uwe.schuerkamp AT nionex DOT net> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> we recently changed our backup policy from tape- to disk-based, so I
> created two pools based on separate filestorage devices (two separate
> dirs) to hold the full and incremental backup volumes.
>
> Today I tried a restore job using both incr. and full volumes, and
> when bacula (5.2.6 on centos 6) needed to access the incremental
> volumes, it tried to open them in the full filestorage directory as
> opposed to the incremental filestorage directory.
>
> I worked around the situation by creating symlinks in the full
> filestorage directory pointing to the incremental backup volume files
> and bacula readily accepted those links and read the incremental stuff
> off the volumes.
>
> I wonder if this is the expected behaviour, or would it be better to
> keep both pools in a single directory (if that's even possible)?
> Should I have modified the Storage resource before starting the
> restore job (alhough the restore job needed both full and incremental
> volumes)?
>
> All the best & thanks in advance, Uwe

I had this issue in the past as well. The solution was to change what
type of media. Here is an example out of my SD configuration file.

  Device = Differential
  Media Type = File-Diff

I had to update my pools to reflect the new media type and backups and
restores work with out having to use the symlinks.

--
Craig Van Tassle
HUBzero.org