Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Long-term off-site storage with Bacula

2012-03-18 14:38:08
Subject: [Bacula-users] Long-term off-site storage with Bacula
From: Justin Finkelstein <justin AT redwiredesign DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 18:35:48 +0000
Hi all

I've a backup scenario I'm wanting to implement with bacula, but need some advice about whether this is a correct, stable approach.

The scenario is this: our office want an off-site backup, preferably using bacula as we're used to it. Due to the slow nature of our office's ADSL link, we want to do this:

    1. We set up a box with a RAID5 array to store backed-up data
    2. Do one full backup of all of our data (about 1TB) before taking the machine off-site
    3. Do monthly full backups of the data, with daily differential backups (rather than incremental) to make restoration reasonably quick (daily backups amount to ~50MB max)

Having talked to someone on the #bacula IRC channel, they've suggested we start with a Base backup type, so my strategy would be this:

    1. Create a Base backup with the machine on-site
    2. Configure monthly Full backups based on the base, to run off-site
    3. Configure daily differentials as per normal
    4. Set up bacula-fd to encrypt all data submitted as per instructions online
    5. Set up SSH tunnels into the office to run bacula over

Does this sound reasonably sensible?

Thanks,

Justin