Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Long-term off-site storage with Bacula

2012-03-19 13:29:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Long-term off-site storage with Bacula
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:27:02 -0400
On 3/19/2012 10:29 AM, Justin Finkelstein wrote:
> That's the approach I was considering; with the scenario you've
> outlined, you mention both diff and incremental jobs.
>
> Would this mean 1 Base + Monthly Full + Weekly Diff + Daily Incremental?

Yes, because a Diff job backs up all file changes since the last
successful Full. An incremental backs up only the changes since the last
successful job of any level. A daily Incremental will backup only the
changes for one day. A daily Diff will backup one day of changes on the
first day, 2 days of changes on the second day, ... , 30 days of changes
on the 30th day. So daily Diff will result in much more data being
transmitted than will daily Incremental backups.

So when backing up over a slow link, 1 Base + Monthly Virtual Full +
Weekly Diff + Daily Incremental will be less taxing on the slow link
than 1 Base + Monthly Full + Daily Diff.