Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Scaling Bacula

2012-03-09 11:52:58
Subject: [Bacula-users] Scaling Bacula
From: "Matthew Macdonald-Wallace (lists)" <lists AT greenandsecure.co DOT uk>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 16:11:17 +0000
Hi all,

I'm working on a platform at the moment which has several hundred
servers (potentially thousands eventually) being backed up across
various data centers using Bacula (managed via Chef).

We've got a prototype in place and it seems to work well, however
before I deploy I'd like to try and understand a little more about the
system resources required to run bacula.

 From previous email threads on this list, I've come to the conclusion
that the primary bottle neck is the Back-end database, not Bacula
itself.

We have taken the design decision to place both the Director and the
MySQL instance on the same server - we figure that if the database or
the bacula-daemons are down, we can't backup either way.  This server
has 48G RAM and 10K SAS Disks so there is some flexibility surrounding
how it is configured.

My plan was to create an 8G SWAP partition and then have
/var/bacula-backups on one HW RAID-5 Array and /var/lib/mysql + OS on a
second HW RAID-1 array (possibly even RAID-0 if it gives us more
performance!) - from there I would concentrate on MySQL turning as
opposed to anything else.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the above, or things I might have
missed?

Thanks in advance,

Matt

P.S. If anyone knows of large-scale bacula (not enterprise) installs,
I'd be v. interested in hearing from them!

M.