Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Scaling Bacula

2012-03-10 16:38:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Scaling Bacula
From: Adrian Reyer <bacula-lists AT lihas DOT de>
To: "Matthew Macdonald-Wallace (lists)" <lists AT greenandsecure.co DOT uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 22:35:49 +0100
Hi Matt,

On Fri, Mar 09, 2012 at 04:11:17PM +0000, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace (lists)
wrote:
>  From previous email threads on this list, I've come to the conclusion
> that the primary bottle neck is the Back-end database, not Bacula
> itself.

This is my experience as well, though bacula-sd liekes to have quite
some CPU and eventually RAM as well, depending on your jobs.

> We have taken the design decision to place both the Director and the
> MySQL instance on the same server - we figure that if the database or
> the bacula-daemons are down, we can't backup either way.  This server
> has 48G RAM and 10K SAS Disks so there is some flexibility surrounding
> how it is configured.

I suggest you plan and do you Director and *Postgresql* instance on the
same server. There are a few inices in Baculas database layout that
contain other inices. MySQL has to do seperate indices for those,
postgres can use a single index for these. This results in way less
writes and compared to most other applications that use databases,
Bacula maily writes.
I moved from 4GB + MyISAM to 16GB + MyISAM to 16GB + InnoDB and now I am
happy at 8GB + Postgres. I always changed the database/backend when
backups didn't finish anymore.

bacula=# select count(*) from path;
 count
--------
 855516

bacula=# select count(*) from filename;
  count
---------
 4772037

bacula=# select count(*) from file;
   count
-----------
 260460301

bacula=# select count(*) from jobmedia;
 count
-------
 35267

I plan and keep the filelists within the database for 13 months, the
problems started at month 3 and I switched database backends every
month till I reached the current setup. This is now running for 6 month.

> second HW RAID-1 array (possibly even RAID-0 if it gives us more
> performance!) - from there I would concentrate on MySQL turning as
> opposed to anything else.

Make sure you have cache ram on your raid controller and a battery
backup unit installed. MySQL and Postgres like to write in sync. With
BBU+cache the write is completed as soon as the controller has the data,
no need to wait for disks. I doubt RAID0 would gain you much if any.

Regards,
        Adrian
--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91