Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Mysterious Director authentication failures

2012-03-06 11:54:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Mysterious Director authentication failures
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2012 11:52:22 -0500
On 03/06/2012 11:10 AM, Bill Arlofski wrote:
> On 03/06/12 09:40, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> The problem never occurs when the Director is idle.
>>
>> The one datum i forgot to add (having forgotten it myself, since I
>> seldom have to interact with the Director manually) is that after all
>> running jobs complete, it FREQUENTLY (but not always, I think) becomes
>> possible to connect again.  (It did last night, for example.)  So there
>> appears to be some kind of factor of load involved.  It could even be
>> related to network utilization.
>
> Phil, I could be wrong, but I think I remember that the maximum concurrent
> jobs option might have something to do with this and that perhaps the bconsole
> connections count as a "job".
>
> This "theory" seems to correlate nicely with the fact that when no jobs are
> running you are able to connect once a gain?

You are entirely correct that each console running requires a Director
connection.  There's two reasons why this cannot be the correct
explanation, though.  The first is that it would result in different
errors - no available connections, rather than password verification
failed or TLS errors.  The second is that only two jobs were running and
Director concurrency is set to 25, which would leave more than 20
connections unaccounted for.

I have a suspicion that there is *SOME KIND* of resource exhaustion
situation in play, but I don't have a theory as to what is being
exhausted.  I'm not using Bacula encryption, so it shouldn't be entropy
exhaustion.  Beyond that, I'm reduced to guessing.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.