Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Disk backup strategy advice / help

2012-01-16 13:17:25
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Disk backup strategy advice / help
From: Adrian Reyer <bacula-lists AT lihas DOT de>
To: Sebastien Douche <sdouche AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 19:15:38 +0100
Hi Sebastian,

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:38:50AM +0100, Sebastien Douche wrote:
> > I think bacula is not the ideal tool for running additional offsite
> > backups. And very likely rsync is not a good way if you use bacula.
> I rsync data, catalog and bsr files on external disks and I would know
> what it's not a goold solution.

Well, as you copy the matching catalog as well it should just be fine.
It depends all on what you want to be your backup be for. In my case I
want to be save from loosing single/some backup media while the backup
server is still fine as I run redundant servers anyway. You obviously
plan for a complete backup system breakdown on the expense of a harder
time while restoring single lost media. On the other hand, if I
experience a complete backup server outage I have to bscan the offsite
tapes.
Benefits of both ways you get by e.g.
- copyjob for media offsite, if some medium fail, the copy job gets
  active if you delete it.
- sql-server replication offsite, alternatively dump&restore
- having all configuration files ready offsite. As I run
  'Linux-VServers' I would just rsync the backup-server itself.

Regards,
        Adrian
--
LiHAS - Adrian Reyer - Hessenwiesenstraße 10 - D-70565 Stuttgart
Fon: +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 90 - Fax:  +49 (7 11) 78 28 50 91